Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Brain stutters

When we lived overseas and I was forced to speak German (with a VERY limited vocab), I always rolled the words over in my brain before they came out my mouth. In my brain, they were right, flowed out smoothly, and made me look very intelligent. When they came out my mouth, they were oftentimes wrong, came out in stuttering jerks, and yes, made me look STUPID.

That's how I feel about my writing.

I can think whole scenes, dialog sections, and character descriptions in my brain. They are brilliant. But when I begin typing those brain visions on the screen, they come out all garbled. And I have to work. Really hard. To make those scenes flow naturally and realistically.

I guess that's why I like the rewrites better than the original drafts. I can see where I'm going, and then try to get there. Of course, from all the conferences I've attended, I know those rewrites are numerous. Numerous, as in sometimes over 30...I said 30...rewrites.

Perhaps my current novel will be finished when I'm 60. If I'm lucky.

No comments: